Thursday 7 June 2012

Job placement at Egan, Matthews & Rose.

A week after I came off from University I had a job placement at Egan, Matthews & Rose which is a restoration and conservation company. The people that run the company have a studio in Edinburgh and also Dundee. My experience there was really enjoyable. I spent two days observing, I also got to repair a tear in a small painting, mix powdered pigments and I also learnt how to restore an old gold gilt frame. During my time there I also got to observe how to repair damaged paintings, most of which were very old Renaissance  paintings. Most of the repair work at Egan, Matthews & Rose are for museum collections and sometimes private collections. I found it fascinating to watch the paintings being restored to their original state, I also learnt that pretty much any piece of ruined or damaged art is fixable. A lot of Chemistry is involved in restoration and conservation. If I do decide to do restoration in the future I would have to spend two to three years in a University at either London, Oxford or Newcastle. There was so much information to take in during my time spent there. It takes so much patience to do this job. I'm still not entirely sure as to what I will do after University yet, but I would seriously consider it. The people there also kindly photographed myself and my friend Allan Davies who is also in my year at University studying fine art who decided to do the same placement as me.







I still haven't had word back about my summer studio yet. however I have been doing a few sketches so I will hopefully be able to upload them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment